(1) geology, paleogeography and paleoecology of the Quaternary environments (2) geochemistry of of sedimentary basins.
Paleoceanography and marine biology:
(1) biodiversity and biogeography of marine diatoms; (2) biodiversity of marine and freshwater meio- and macrobenthic organisms; (3) stratigraphic research on the fossil record of siliceous phytoplankton; (4) research on microalgae as a potential source of materials and energy; (6) the ecological relations between parasites and organisms being their hosts.
(1) environmental conditions of shallow- and deep-water sedimentation in selected ocean basins, (2) mineralogy and geochemistry of sediments and mineral resources of selected ocean basins, (3) application of hydroacoustics in geological studies of water basins.
(1) investigation of morpho- and lithodynamic processes in marine costal zone by use of GIS and remote sensing, (2) impact of the hydrotechnical constructions and protection methods on the coast, (3) paleogeographic reconstructions of the former coastlines, (4) implementation of remote sensing techniques to predict the development of coastlines.
Physical oceanography and hydrology:
(1) long-term and seasonal sea level variability in the Baltic Sea and its adjacent water bodies, (2) recognition of meteorological and hydrological drivers controlling physical processes occurring in the Baltic Sea, (3) flood threat for low-lying areas adjacent to lagoons and downstream reaches of rivers at present and under climate change, (4) physicochemical properties of marine aerosols.
Climatology and meteorology:
(1) impact of environmental conditions, including meteorological conditions on tree-ring width, (2) meteorological conditions of extreme weather events, (3) meteorological and circulation conditions of variable river flow.
(1) impact of environmental factors and phylogeography of selected groups of invertebrates and vertebrates, (2) taxonomy of selected invertebrate groups based on morphological characteristics and molecular data, (3) impact of environmental conditions on the diversity of vascular plants and fungi in forests, peatlands and river valleys, (5) multi-faceted analysis of aeroplankton, (6) functioning of the blackbird population in urbanized areas.